Thursday, 7 June 2012

CHOP MY MONEY


The past couple of weeks have involved some shameless fundraising for the freetown runners. Let's face it,  begging people for money can be a drag, but one thing I have learnt is that most people are easy to guilt trip can be very, very generous. Look at this fist full of money that has been donated so far.




I know this looks staged but it did actually happen for reals. This anonymous donor from the Special Court generously handed over $100!!



This donor was not quite as willing to part with his cash but after several gin and tonics and some applied force he eventually surrendered - and gee, what a flattering photo of us both.



I realised that the team needed a uniform so I asked the friendly people at our favourite supermarket if they would donate some running shirts. Without a hint of hesitation Tony, the boss of the St Mary's dynasty, reached into the cash register and agreed to pay for 23 shirts (including 1 for coach Jimmy). Paradox Company Limited specialists in the printing of sports t-shirts have done a marvellous job .  BTW, SLAA stands for Sierra Leone Athletics Association.



The father of 'The Mother of all Supermarkets', Tony Shallop is delighted by the result. If you're in Makeni on the weekend, look out for the shirt which will be modelled by 22 ripped bodies most likely to cross the finish line hours before any of us.  

1 comment: